- Oval crockpot
- 6" cake pan
- Parchment paper
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup (2½ ounces) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup packed (4⅔ ounces) brown sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 large yolk, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup pecans or walnuts, toasted and chopped coarse (optional)
- 1. Fill slow cooker with ½ inch water (about 2 cups water) and place aluminum foil rack in bottom. Grease 6-inch springform pan and line with parchment paper.
- 2. Microwave chocolate in large bowl at 50 percent power for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir, add butter, and continue to heat until melted, stirring once every 30 seconds; let cool slightly. In separate bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together. Whisk sugar, egg and yolk, and vanilla into cooled chocolate mixture until well combined. Stir in flour mixture until just incorporated.
- 3. Scrape batter into prepared pan, smooth top, and sprinkle with pecans, if using. Set pan on prepared rack, cover, and cook until toothpick inserted into center comes out with few moist crumbs attached, 3 to 4 hours on high.
- 4. Let brownies cool completely in pan on wire rack, 1 to 2 hours. Run small knife around edge of brownies, then remove sides of pan. Remove brownies from pan bottom, discarding parchment, and transfer to cutting board. Cut brownies into wedges and serve.